From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 91 12:07:32 EST
    All this comes directly from my girlfriend Chris, one of the few times she
    found out something before I did. :-)  She was very proud of herself for
    this, so she deserves to be mentioned here.  See, this is the effect I
    have on people, causing them to seek out pieces of information most
    others aren't interested in.

    Yesterday's (3/21/90) Boston Herald reported two additional candidates
    for the BC head coaching job: Army coach Rob Riley (a BC alumnus) and,
    are you ready for this, Shawn Walsh.  I tend to think the old "snowball's
    chance in hell" adage applies to Walsh's chances.  He was quoted (from
    memory) as saying he was surprised at being mentioned as a candidate
    and that he hadn't heard anything.  I know Chet Gladchuk, new BC AD, has
    said that although most people have the job already given to associate
    Steve Cedorchuk, he is not averse to going outside the program.  But
    the impression I get from Maine people is that Walsh would probably only
    leave Maine either to work with the Olympic Team or take a pro job.  BC
    and Maine have also developed a pretty good rivalry and it would turn
    things upside down if this was to happen.  I get the feeling that the
    writer of the article is the guy who mentioned Walsh, not Gladchuk.

    Also, Gladchuk has indicated that he will be speaking to the new coach
    about changing BC's policy of recruiting only Americans.  This may
    change as early as the recruitment of the 1992-93 freshman class.  Since
    recruiting for this year is nearly finished, he said, the change wouldn't
    be discussed now.  But don't forget the 92-93 freshmen will be recruited
    in just a few months, and for many the process has already been under way.

    With Gladchuk stepping in as the new AD, it is clear that he wants to put
    his stamp on BC athletics in a hurry; BC will also have a new football
    coach to replace Jack Bicknell.  Do not be surprised if certain radical
    changes in the hockey program, like the recruitment of Canadians, begin
    to take place.

    - mike

    p.s. I'm going with the four home teams this weekend.  BU & Maine in 3,
         LSSU & NMU in 2.  Last night on WRKO's SportsCall, Jack Parker said
         that he expects BU to lose 10-11 players next year in total.  He
         also said that he would stick with his rotation of Cashman in goal
         tonight and Bradley tomorrow night.  This surprises me a bit; I would
         expect Bradley to go tonight, but I suppose that if Michigan wins
         tonight, he would prefer to go with the senior when facing elimination.
         Regarding Riley, he seemed to think that Riley & Lowell were victims
         of the NCAA's desire to make sure hockey knows it's being watched.  He
         added that while Riley is pretty much out of coaching for five years,
         guys like Eddie Sutton are still coaching hoop, and that wasn't fair.
         He said he was "flabbergasted" at the revelations out of Lowell but
         that he knew Riley was a good man and good coach who had done a lot
         for Lowell hockey.
    p.s.s. Good luck to all your teams this weekend; hope we have four exciting
           series.