From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 91 16:46:44 CST
>     The following is from a Boston Globe article by Frank Dell'Apa,
>     dated today, Wednesday, 3/20/91.
>
>     Now Hockey East has a team on probation, too. :-)

Who else is on probation?

>     Thus the Lowell hockey team, with a fraction of the budget, earning
> potential and success of Big Ten football powers, became the first
> Hockey  East program to be disciplined by the NCAA.

Does anyone know what this (mentioning Big Ten football) is in reference
to?

>     Also, the report said, Riley "failed to deport himself in accordance with
> the generally recognized high standards normally associated with the conduct
> and administration of intercollegiate athletics"

Ummm.... where's the smiley face?  :-) :-)

Is hockey "cleaner" than other NCAA sports? If so, is it because fewer
people care, or because the hockey community is smaller so everyone
knows when people break the rules?

If this kind of thing is widespread, is it not reported as much because
no one is paying attention?

[Combined into one posting in order to save the mailserver]

Someone mentioned Minnesota's lock on Minnesota recruits. While it is
true that Minnesota (justly) pride's itself on only playing kids from
Minnesota, UMD, Wisconsin and now St. Cloud (among others) also
successfully recruit a number of top-notch players from Minnesota each
year.  This is one of the things which makes the Wisconsin-Minnesota
such a strong rivalry (from the Wisconsin team's point of view).

In my long comments on the Wisconsin-Clarkson series, I forgot to
mention two important points:

	1) The game wasn't televised in Wisconsin (according to
	   the paper, due to a lack of production facilities and no
	   room to put cameras in Walker arena), so most of us
	   Wisconsin fans didn't see the game and can't comment on the
	   specifics.

	2) The Clarkson band sounded *GREAT* on the radio

--david