From:
Cliff Michalski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 91 00:43:27 -0600
	Can we put this Wisconsin/Clarkson thing to rest once and
	for all.  What follows is the text of a message I sent Kyle
	(aumellK@Clarkson...) the Friday of the UW/Clarkson series.
	If you don't believe me, ask Kyle, he'll confirm it.  I think
	it answers the following questions:
	  1) do we respect Clarkson
	  2) do we think we will "roll" clarkson
	  3) do we view our team as being cheap (sean hill practically
	     paralyuzed a guy with a cheap shot - do I have to say
	     any more)
	  4) did all UW fans purchase tickets to LSSU in advance
	Get the idea??

	By the way, if you need a second opinion, I wrote mike_m a
	message in which I detailed the same information.

>	Hi Kyle,
>
>	my name's cliff and i'm wisconsin born and raised, and have been
>	a badger hockey fan for as long as i can remember.  i just
>	subscribed to the listings and read your latest message concerning
>	the UW/Clarkson matchup and thought I'd write a little to you
>	personnaly to let you know what people back here are thinking.
>
>	1. I can guarantee you that nobody back here, unless they are
>	   foolish, thinks Wisconsin will easily defeat Clarkson.
>	   UW has looked very tentative and inconsistent this season,
>	   particularly against good competition.  The ECAC champion,
>	   on their home ice where they are 16-0-1 definitely
>	   qualifys as good competition.
>
>	2. There is some talk about the fans in Walker Arena, and the
>	   "big bell" that I've been told rings a hell of a lot.
>	   The team doesn't seem to be very concerned with this,
>	   although we all know that the bell seems to ring a lot
>	   more when Clarkson is winning - I guess what I'm saying is
>	   that we'll have to wait until monday to see if the team
>	   considers the fans a problem.
>
>	3. There has been infinite talk concerning the small size
>	   of Walker Arena.  Wisconsin's coah, Jeff Sauer, seems to
>	   think that having played well at Colorado College and
>	   UMD, both with rinks almost exaclty the size of Walker,
>	   the team should adapt fairly well.  To this I say,
>	   CC was dead last in the league, and UMD finished below .500 -
>	   I think that had a lot more to do with the badgers playing
>	   well.  The smaller rink WILL be a problem.
>
>	4. Something that hasn't been mentioned back here that often
>	   is the penalty complication.  Wisconsin takes stupid penalties -
>	   Clarkson's PP unit is lethal.  I won't insult your
>	   intelligence by elaborating any further - if Wisconsin
>	   takes penalties, they're dead.
>
>	5. My prediction - I won't try to cheerlead and pick
>	   Wisconsin for no reason.  I think the series will go
>	   3 games.  I think whoever gets better goaltending will
>	   win the series.  I look for very low scoring games - it
>	   sounds as though both teams are perfectly content to play
>	   their game, regardless if they're 1 goal ahead, or 1 goal
>	   behind.  To be completely honest with you, I don't feel
>	   any vibes for this weekend - I think Clarkson will win.

	I also wrote Kyle a congrtulatory note on monday morning
	wishing his team the best of luck against LSSU.  I dare
	say that people from wisconsin understand the good feeling
	that comes from having won an NCAA tournament game/series.

	good luck to all the fans that still have hope.

cliff

	ps - message sent on behalf of the NCAA Division I Ice Hockey
	     Champion University of Wisconsin Badgers.

	pps - Jesus saves....... badgers score on the rebound !!!