From:
Eric House <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 91 21:53:50 EST
I think that the Minn. "monopoly" over Minn. players is overrated.  For
starters in the northern half of the state there are two good programs that are
 closer to and recruit just as well as Minn.  Both ND and UMD "steal" players
from the Gophers on a regular basis.

It is really unfair to be comparing a freshman for NMU who has played three
years of Junior league to a freshman for Minn. who is living alone for the firs
t time.  Yes the U. of Minn. has an immense advantage as far as recruiting
within the state goes but it is still unfair for the other colleges to recruit
kids who already have two or three years of experience out of high school.

As far as NMU's troubles a few years ago I can't explain that except to note
that no matter who you are you are going to have bad years or "chemistry" or
some such. IMHO

I think that us Minn. fans have a legitimate beef, after all I hear that the
Mich. state high school program in general is not all that bad, they do produce
 good players, or are they "locked" into U. Mich. or Mich. state??

Anyhow that is my two cents worth.  Go Gophers!!! Beat Maine!!!

    Eric House  WW        WW        MM  MM    TRIBE HOCKEY 3-17-0
                 WW      WW   +    MM MM MM      THE BEST IN VIRGINIA
                  WW WW WW   +++  MM      MM       AND ABROAD!!!
                   WW  WW     +  MM        MM