From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 91 15:15:12 CST
     First, I was in error when I said Wisconsin's rink is 185 by 85.
The correct size is 200 by 85.   The rest of what I said about Wis-
Clarkson is still valid, though, IMHO.

Mike writes
>    As things stand, with 12 of 45 making next year's tourney, that will
>    result in a ratio of 26.7% NCAA qualifiers.  16 of 45 would be 35.6%.
>    I don't know how many DivI basketball teams there are - does anyone
>    know, so we can see the ratio in hoop?  It seems to me that the NCAA
>    is reluctant to go over the magic 1/3 ratio.

     In basketball 64 out of 296 (21.6%) make the tourney.

>    I see several huge advantages of going to 16 teams:

     Here's my suggestion for a 16 team tournament.  Have 4 regionals at
neutral sites with 4 teams at each site.  Then play a single elimination
tournament.  The four regional winners advance to the final 4.  The seeding
can be done in a similar way to the bball tourney.  The higher ranked teams
will be placed in a region close to home.  Lower ranked teams will be
moved around to provide balance and keep from having teams from the same
league play in the first round.
      Advantages and disadvantages to this system are a matter of taste.
IMO  ** Single elimination is more exciting than the current system.  I don't
care if there are upsets because I like rooting for underdogs.
     ** I think good teams should prove they are good without the home ice
advantage.
     **  The tournament can be finished in only two weeks as opposed to the
current three weeks.  Perhaps this could be used to lobby the NCAA to restore
a few of the regular season games that they are cutting (down from 38 to 34
games).
     **  Having four regionals might attract some national or at least
regional television coverage.  College hockey could use a little wider
national exposure.

      The above arguments are just my opinion.  I can already see a problem
wtih my suggestion.  Fans might not be willing (or able) to travel around the
country to fill up the arenas at the regional sites.  Also, TV might com-
pletely ignore the regional games.  My suggestion is basically an imitation
of the bball tourney which is one the most successful sport marketing jobs
ever.  I'm not sure if hockey should try that style or stay the way it is.
Comments?  No flames, please.

Mark "Sauerpuss" Grassl
P.S.  I'm going ask the author of the Oliver Woofing Theorem if it applies
to college hockey.  Look out Clarkson.