From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 91 13:51:33 EST
Pete Kester writes:
>One interesting item to note is that UConn's rink has no walls!  It is
>an artificial ice surface covered by a roof.  I've seen Bowdoin play
>there a few times [Bowdoin plays at UConn the Friday after every other
>Thanksgiving] and it can get quite cold sitting on metal bleacher
>seats!  This season, however, it was unseasonably warm which caused a
>layer of fog to settle on the ice.  The game had to be stopped
>periodically to have the players skate around trying to lift the fog.

    The Globe had an article a little while ago about UConn and how
    its hockey program is living in the shadow of hoop.  They may have
    the biggest home ice advantage of any team in hockey at any level,
    though, as Pete says.  The roof covers about 3/4 of the ice surface
    and wasn't even there until several years ago.  The article talked
    about a game played during a blizzard where the puck would get lost
    in snowdrifts in the corners.  Players dress indoors and then have
    to walk outside to get to the rink.  It can be mighty nasty when
    that mercury dips below 0, especially with the wind chill.

    I can't understand why the folks at UConn don't build up their program
    with all the money they rake in from hoop.  They have already sent one
    player to the NHL, Hartford's Todd Krygier (forgive me if I got the
    Krygiers mixed up; there is another one playing at UConn now).  And
    Connecticut prep schools and high schools are developing more and more
    great players that end up leaving the state to play in DivI programs
    elsewhere (Craig Janney, Brian Leetch, Scott Lachance, Chris Winnes,
    Brian Sullivan, Mike Heinke to name just a few from Hockey East).

    UConn *should* have a DivI team and they have the money to do it, if
    their administration ever decides to make the commitment.  Are there
    any UConn or ECAC East followers who might know more about why they
    haven't made the move?

    - mike