From:
Jim Baines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 91 12:31:00 EST
"Dug" hit it right on the head.

No doubt about it, Shawn Walsh *is* Maine hockey.  The program has only
been around 12 or 13 years, with Walsh coaching half of that.  In the
1985-86, Walsh's second season as the Black Bear boss, Maine was 11-28-1.
The following year, Maine made the NCAA quarterfinals and was ranked as
high as fifth in the nation.  That just goes to show you what he's done
for the program and who he's brought in.

I could go on about his abilities, but that's pretty much well known.
As for his personality, I can tell you this.  I have interviewed Walsh
after numerous games in the past few years as a radio reporter, and he
almost always seems very calm, often emotionally drained, and extremely
knowledgable.  On the bench, he's very intense, but he's not really a
"whiner" compared with the rest of college hockey's coaches.  I'd say
he's on par with the rest of them.  And yes, he checks opponents'
sticks, but only if its necessary (i.e. if Maine is one or two goals
down), and I've never seen him wrong about challenging a stick.  He's
got a keen eye for that.  As for TAMPERING with opponents sticks, all
I can say is, that's complete Hickory Farms BALONEY.

One thing I've learned from other members of the Maine media is that
Walsh tends to favor, I mean REALLY favor, those writers and broadcasters
from the Pine Tree State.  He's a public-relations wiz, and he almost
never lets a Maine reporter down when it comes to info.  I understand
he's always not as friendly with opposing or neutral reporters, but I
can't confirm that.  That's only a rumor.

Another rumor is that Walsh is outta here if and when he gets an offer
to coach the Olympic hockey team.  Once he gets THAT job, no telling
where he will go, but it sure won't be Maine.  He should get pro offers
without question.  When that happens, he will be sorely missed, because
it will take one extraordinary individual to take his place.
|Jim Baines, a.k.a. "Sportscaster",  BITNET: IO60312@MAINE           |
|"Fill the Steins to Dear Old Maine..."  GO BLACK BEARS!!!           |
|M! A! I! N! E! GooooooOOOOOOOOOOO  BLUE!!!!!   Beat the Gophers!!!  |