From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 91 22:22:49 EST
Glen Keeney writes,
>[You may be remembering the "Beagan-NCAA" rules a la Commissioner Beagan of
>the CCHA who imposed an automatic DQ with hitting from behind in January?
>which was used a couple weeks until the NCAA folks informed him about the
>real NCAA rules and made him rescind the automatic DQ.]

    Actually, before the 90-91 season even started, I had learned of the
    automatic DQ if a major is imposed for hitting from behind.  I saw it
    called twice in one exhibition game (Concordia-Merrimack), and then I
    never saw it called again during any game I saw this season.  Of course,
    after I went and made that statement about it being in the rule book, I
    forgot to check, so I'm still not sure what the ruling is.

    It is possible that this was a Hockey East-only rule (at the time) and
    that it was changed afterward.

    - mike

    p.s. Thanks to the folks who kept me honest regarding my mistaken claim
         that four road teams had won last night.  Usually I get to check my
         postings more closely than I did last night, when I was in a hurry
         to get the news out and leave.  I suddenly realized my mistake when
         I was halfway home.