From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 1994 11:29:00 PDT
Steve Weisfeldt posted a good deal of information on
college hockey publications today and I wanted to
clarify some of it.  We went through most of this on
Hockey-L a couple of months ago, so please delete
now if you're not interested...but this may appeal to
many of the newer list members.

The publication that Steve referred to is U.S. COLLEGE
HOCKEY MAGAZINE.  It is published bi-weekly, not monthly,
throughout the college hockey season.  USCHM is the
present version of what was previously named COLLEGE
HOCKEY MAGAZINE.  It is back under the control of David
McDougall [publisher] and Don Cameron [editor] after a
very brief fling with Howe Sports.  As Steve mentioned, it
doesn't contain up to the minute stats...but stats are no
longer a part of the publication.  The primary attractions now
are the feature articles, interviews and color photos.  Each
issue contains a piece pertaining to the CCHA, ECAC, HE,
WCHA, ACHA and women's hockey among the 8-10 articles.
I recommend USCHM...but don't subscribe expecting it to
fill your numerical needs [stats and standings], because it
won't.  Besides...Hockey-L does a thorough job of covering
stats and standings, and they are available much faster than
anything the mail can provide.  For more info, contact:

  U.S. COLLEGE HOCKEY MAGAZINE
  37 Trask Rd
  Peabody MA 01960
  (508)531-4311
  (508)531-2424 fax

Steve also mentioned the weekly newsprint publication, COLLEGE
HOCKEY JOURNAL.  This was fantastic, with up-to-date stats for
the four Div I conferences and major independents each week as
well as tidbits from a beat writer in every city and a few feature
articles.  Unfortunately, CHJ folded due to lack of advertising
income.

DROP THE PUCK DIVISION I COLLEGE HOCKEY WEEKLY UPDATE
is still available...but not recommended.  There are only a few
writers involved with each issue, often students, and the stats
are ALWAYS incorrect.  Not all of the stats...but I have never seen
a single issue of DTP that didn't contain multiple statistical
inaccuracies.  And I still haven't resolved some inconsistencies
such as the All-WCHA team...which was reported differently
between USCHM and DTP.  Sure, it shows up every week but
for my money it doesn't offer anything that Hockey-L doesn't...
at least not accurately.

What I do recommend from this group is their annual DROP THE
PUCK DIVISION I COLLEGE HOCKEY YEARBOOK.  It's only a few
bucks and, if nothing else, it's a fairly decent source for team
rosters and schedules [which you can also get from the Hockey-L
archives].  For more info on either of the above contact:

  Blueline Publishing
  POBox 8686
  Minneapolis MN 55408-0686
  (612)825-4663

The publisher/editor is Kerby Meyers.

WHAT ELSE?

Well, I'm compiling a list of college hockey publications including
local and booster ones.  When I get the energy to put the info into
a readable summary, I'll post it to Hockey-L.  Hopefully we can
create and continually update an archive file minimally containing
name and address information for current college hockey
publications.

  John H
  U Mich
  Sorry for the length.