From:
Cliff Michalski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 91 16:42:50 -0600
	just a quick reply/question concerning Robin "Poe" Lock's
	posting concerning the field selection and the seedings.
	As I remember, Robin was upset about a couple of things:
		1) ECAC teams getting a bad deal
		2) 4 teams from HEA
		3) a concern that the 12 best teams are not the
		   12 in the NCAA field

	what i have to offer is something that appeared in the
	Madison Wisconsin newspaper (Wisconsin Statwe Journal)
	this morning (3/14/91).  The author of the article was
	Andy Baggot, the reporter that covers Wisconsin hockey.
	i was not aware that the following was true - can anyone
	shed any more light on this?  I am relatively new to this
	group so please forgive me if this has been discussed.

	i quote:

	"Last year, the American Hockey Coaches Association demanded
	that a sterile, by-the-numbers system be devised to determine
	the best teams.  Thus, the committee constructed a computerized
	format - using a team's winning percentage, strength of schedule
	and its opponents' strength of schedule to produce a power
	rating - to rank teams.  As a result, the sentiment factor was
	effectively squeezed out and political barriers that have
	plagued recent tournament fields were knocked down".

	Baggot goes onto say that 2 repercussions of this were:
	  1) The three top seeds in the east went to HE teams
	  2) 4 HE teams were included in the field.

	Baggot believes this is justice in its purest form - others
	may disagree.

	Ultimately, what I make of this boils down to a question -
	if they have a cookbook formula, why in the world do they need
	a 4 person selection committee ???

cliff