From:
Jim Baines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 91 17:01:28 EST
Jeremy at Clarkson asked about ties in the NCAA tournament.

First of all, that is not a stupid question.  I'm sure thousands of fans
bring it up when a tourney game goes into OT.  Just to clarify, here's
the rule.

After sixty minutes of regulation, the players take an intermission,
Mr. Zamboni pays a visit to the ice, and the players return for
10 minutes of sudden-death OT.  If the score remains tied, switch ends,
and play another 10 minutes of sudden-death OT. Still tied?  Then it's
zamboni time again; take another break.  The process repeats until
somebody scores.  There are no ties in NCAA tournament games.

An overtime situation in the NCAA hockey tournament is incredibly
intense.  I can't think of another college sport (although I'm sure
there are) that have the sudden-death, play-till-you-drop, situation.
I can only hope this happens to each and every one of you, regardless
of the outcome, because it's just plain intense.  And when your team
wins this way, it's almost orgasmic!

|Jim Baines, a.k.a. "Sportscaster",  BITNET: IO60312@MAINE           |
|"Fill the Steins to Dear Old Maine..."  GO BLACK BEARS!!!           |