From:
Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 1994 07:02:24 EST
Jayson Moy writes:

> That's right folks. The NCAA will not come to the Knick again.
>
> 2) The fan standpoint.
> The attendance was horrendous.  The announced attendances of 10,000+
> and 9,000+ were just PAID attendance.

I'm glad this was pointed out.  I beleive the attendance at the UNH/RPI
contest was around 10,000, but that was it for the weekend.  The place was
empty for the W. Mich/UW game and there's no way that 9,000+ fnas came through
the gates on Saturday.  Ticket sales are ticket sales and not attendance.  You
can't really complain about the log-jams in the lobby, though.  That goes with
the territory.  However, the security was incredible!  It's easier to get into
the Defense Plant in which I work than it was to get by the guys guarding the
UNH reception.  That's no fun.  And don't forget the the UNH band (you remember,
the small one?).  Half of them couldn't even get in because of Knick Security.
They spent most of the W. Mich/UW game standing in the lobby before being
cleared to sit down.  Perhaps they heard about the raucous Snively faithful.
[big smile]

> 3) The town of Albany.
> Sure the Sports Foundation got everyone to put banners up and everything
> else like that, but I think someone also mentioned it, why did Ben & Jerry's
> in DOWNTOWN ALBANY close at 5PM on Saturday evening?

The banners were a nice touch.  But don't forget the fans who got locked in
McDonald's at closing time. (8 P.M.).  You have to laugh at that!

Complaints aside, we did have a great time in Albany.  Press coverage and
advertising are problems that will continue to be addressed.  But you can't
beat good College Hockey.  Good luck to all the remaining teams and safe
travel for the fans!

Is it October yet?

 Howard M. Quimby   D/471                                [log in to unmask]
 GD - Electric Boat Division                             [log in to unmask]
 75 Eastern Point Road                                   [log in to unmask]
 Groton, CT  06340                                       (203) 433-3465