From:
Christopher Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 05:38:19 PST
> Has anyone else hear rumours about a group of the more
>superior Div II and  III schools stepping up and starting a fifth Div I
>conference?

The one I heard was a new conference for the D-I schools currently
playing D-II/III schedules (Canisius, UConn, Holy Cross, Fairfield, Iona,
Villanova) plus Army. If these teams scheduled the majority of
their games against each other, then they would meet the minimum requirement
for eligibility for the D-I NCAA tournament (20 games?).

There's also a rumor that the D-II tournament is again going away,
which may allow for some D-II schools like Mankato, Mercyhurst and Huntsville
to "play up".

Chris Lerch
Xerox
RIT '84 & '91