Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 91 12:13:01 EST
----- Begin Included Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Re: Refs, and more...
Wayne Smith writes . . .
> Two or three refs can't be used because the rules aren't interpreted the
> same from ref-to-ref and from game-to-game and from minute-to-minute.
How 'bout in basketball? It is clear that basketball officiating is an
equally objective art, but they manage (somehow) to coordinate themselves.
I think hockey could use another ref on the ice, or should allow linesmen
to call penalties. You wouldn't have Ahola getting off scot-free with Roy
down.
----- End Included Message -----

One significant difference in hockey is the "delayed whistle" situations.
As I think about it, maybe delayed whistles would be good for basketball
too, which would take care of the "act of shooting" decisions which now
have to be made.

The linesmen can call penalties (admittedly in a different way than the
referee).