From:
Jim Baines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 91 17:03:53 EST
Now that we have the NCAA Hockey pairings all figured out (way to go
Maine!), I have a question....

When are the EXACT dates/times for the final four, and which teams will
play in which games?  I know the teams haven't been determined yet, but
the brackets must define the winners of each quarterfinal to go to a
specific semi-final game.  So, when are they?

The reaction of the NCAA pairings around here say that everything was
intact, except for the #2-#4 pairings in the East.  Many Maine fans
(and especially coach Shawn Walsh), thought it was almost a crime for
Boston University to be ranked so high.  We all expected Boston College
to get the number-two ranking, or even Clarkson wouldn't be a complete
surprise.  But BU???  Yeah, they won the Hockey East tourney title,
but a lot of ppl feel they still don't measure up to being the second
best team in the East.  It just goes to show you what you can do for
your team when you're on the NCAA selection committee (referring to
B.U. Coach Jack Parker, who continues to be public-enemy number one in
the eyes of Black Bear fans).

Oh, and we may be proud of our hockey team, but our mascot really needs
work.  The "Bananas" the Black Bear costume does skate, but it really
needs a gimmick.  All it does is skate around the ice during inter-
missions -- big deal.  I forget which ECAC school it was (sorry), but
someone mentioned something about tossing candy to the crowd.  Perhaps
ol' Bananas could do something like that, tossing candy, Maine hockey
pucks, or hell...BANANAS!  Besides, Bananas looks kinda wimpy.  When
our football team played at Hawaii, the Hawaii broadcaster said, "That
mascot looks just a little too friendly." True, but there's nothing
wrong with that as long as the mascot actually DOES something active!
Anyone else have a mascot like that?  What do your mascots do?
Bananas needs ideas!  Anything, please!
|Jim Baines, a.k.a. "Sportscaster",  BITNET: IO60312@MAINE           |
|"Fill the Steins to Dear Old Maine..."  GO BLACK BEARS!!!           |