Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 91 17:27:37 EST
 A tidbit from Sid Hartman's column today in the Star Tribune: Former Former
 Former North Stars coach Pierre Page, now general manager of Quebec in the
 NHL, watched the Gophers lose 4-2 to Northern Michigan and was impressed by
 them in defeat.

 "I'm amazed the Gophers got this far," said Page, who followed the team
 closely last season. "Northern Michigan is a much older and experienced team
 with players who are 22, 23 and 24 years old. Tony Szabo, who was rookie of
 the year in the league, is a 21-year-old freshman."

 Northern Michigan has seven players 23 or older, most of them from Canada,
 where they play junior hockey and 80-game schedules before enrolling in
 college. While the Gophers are all Minnesota natives, Northern Michigan suited
 up 15 Canadians for last night's game. Only five Americans played against the
 Gophers last night.

 "They are experienced players who didn't give the Gophers a sniff because they
 know how to play defense," said Page.

 When you watch a game like this, with a team dominated by older, former junior
 hockey players, you can understand why John Mariucci and Marsh Ryman, former
 Gophers coaches fought so hard to have age limits that wouldn't allow older
 Canadians to dominate the college hockey scene. It might be wise for faculty
 representatives and athletic directors to take another look at eligibility
 requirements in the WCHA. (end of excerpt)

 After reading that in the paper today, I feel a little better. It darn near
 broke my heart when Northern scored that empty-net goal with less than one
 minute to go in the game. I also think that I have never yelled, screamed and
 cheered louder than I did last night and the two guys who were sitting in
 front of me, probably will hear ringing in their ears for a week! (And I only
 have three days to rest my voice till the next game! *:-) )

 All-WCHA team chosen

 The all-WCHA tournament team consisted of forwards Mark Beaufait (Northern
 Michigan), Larry Olimb (Minnesota), and Greg Johnson (North Dakota);
 defensemen Brad Werenka (Northern Michigan), and Sean Hill (Wisconsin); and
 goaltender Jeff Stolp (Minnesota). Northern goalie Bill Pye was chosen most
 valuable player in voting by a secret committee selected by the tournament
 sports information director.

 I have a few comments and quotes from the paper on the early announcement of
 the seedings which I will post later.

 Carol White
 U of Minn
 GO Gophers!!!