From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 91 12:54:22 EST
Jay writes ..
>The goal judge turned the light on rather late, and in my
>opinion had a view that was obstructed by the goalies body.
>The referee did not see the play as an SLU defenseman and a
>Clarkson player were between him and the play. In this case
>having not seen the play he could not wave off the goal and
>let the goal judges ruling  stand. ...

   This is probably a nit, and if I'm wrong, please correct me, but ...
   A goal judge cannot call a goal: this can only be done by the referee
   (and perhaps linesmen?).  A goal judge *signals* that he has seen the
   puck go in as a goal.  A goal judge *may* be asked by the referee for
   such things as did it go in before the whistle or was it kicked in.

   If this is substantially wrong I hope our experts can straighten me
   out!)

   Wayne (played at high school goal judge for a while) Smith