From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 1994 18:01:24 EST
Saturday afternoon at Bright I saw a gutsy performance by the Crimson
to come from behind and tie the very talented Friars.  At times it
looked like Providence would skate to victory easily.  At other times
it looked like PC was thinking ahead to Sunday night's big match with
Northeastern.  Harvard can be very proud of their strong play.

There was no scoring in the first period.  The Friars started the game
with their stylish offense, but the Crimson soon was able to check
them off their stride.  In the second period, Karen McCabe's (Chris
Bailey, Alison Wheeler) shot from the point went in off the goalie's
pads.  PC made the score 0-2 when Wendy Cofran's (Bailey, Alana
Blahoski) quick high shot was bobbled by the Harvard goalie into the
net.  Providence had the lead, but was not playing well.  They just
did not seem to be anticipating the play well.  In the third period,
the Crimson came close when Joey Alissi (AJ Mleczko, Stacy Kellogg)
tucked home a centering pass from behind the net.  Blahoski (Cofran,
Kim Dowd) made it 1-3 PC when she was able to shoot home while on her
belly.  After the Harvard goal, Providence had started their swarm
attack and Blahoski's goal I thought was going to be the start of
many.  Instead, the Crimson was able to break out and Alissi (AJ)
drilled in a wide angle shot after AJ had crashed the defense.  From
my view the goal was somewhat dubious.  Lynn Manning had to leave the
game for PC after the collision.  Harvard tied the match after
they had pulled their goalie for an extra attacker.  Kellogg (Alissi,
Francie Walton) got the final touch to give the Crimson a fine tie.
In the overtime there was no scoring.

Providence has a ton of talent.  The two times I have seen them they
have played well as individuals, but not that well as a team.  There
was too much standing around in the low slots.  The skating and moves
these players have would make them ideal players to run a roll
offense down low.  They can spin and turn so well, it would be lethal.
Their version of that rotation based attack is a swarm that involves
all of their players on the ice.  Its great when it works, but it
seems to tire them and leave them open to counterattacks.  The
strength of PC is their defenders.  Vicki Movsessian did not play due
to injury(?).  Melissa Mills joined blueliners Karen McCabe, Kim Dowd
and Chris Bailey.  From my point of view, Bailey was the outstanding
player on the ice.  She is a tremendous skater.  She just seems to
thunder up the ice.  Her passing is excellent and her shot from the
point is explosive.  Chris Bailey is one of the best players I have
ever seen.  Mills also had a strong skating game and combined her
sudden break ins with a sweet shot and touch passing.  Dowd and McCabe
made numerous break up plays and are also fine skaters and passers.
On offense the second line carried PC.  Alana Blahoski has started to
add some fire to her play.  A brilliantly quick skater she is on the
verge of having the kill instinct she needs to finish plays.  Line-
mates Wendy Cofran and Kathleen Brophy are also fast skaters and
always on the outlook for the half chance.  Amy Carlson saw time on
many lines, as Coach Marchetti does like to play: what's my line?  On
all of them she contributed with her sharp skills.  The team speed of
Providence is something.  I am very surprised that they were not able
to blow right past a much slower Harvard squard.  Tomorrow night's
match with the Northeastern should be great.

Harvard played an excellent checking game.  They shut off areas of the
ice to PC.  They really played with a lot of heart.  I thought Joey
Alissi was there outstanding player today.  She logged tons of skating
time preventing Friar plays and trying to start the Crimson attack.
It was nice that she figured in all three Harvard goals.  Alissi com-
bined good checking with super finishing.  Just about as strong a
performance was turned in by defender Holly Leitzes.  She was good at
just holding onto the puck and settling the Crimson down.  Some of her
break up plays on D were jewels.  Leitzes is playing great!  Erin
Villiotte kept Harvard in the game making 43 saves.  Many were from
rapid fire sequences.  She will be unhappy with the 2 "soft" goals she
let in.  Both without her talent, many more goals would have been in
the net.  Diana Clark had a stellar game.  She has been skating so
well lately.  Clark is providing good cover in her defensive zone and
helping to create chances on attack.  She and linemate Christa
Calagione looked pretty sharp.  They are just a couple of steps from
being able to finish those plays.  Overall it was a great tie for the
Crimson.  I am very happy the team played so well together.

/
 good shooting
 rhun