Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1993 04:24:59 EST
Hi Wayne,
>[...]
>>But, if the NC$$ were to do that, then that would mean that any student coming
>>out of B.C. would be guaranteed a 2.00 average. Is that fair? I don't think so.
>
>   I don't see your reasoning here.  If a student were to pass all
>   courses, then yes, a 2.00 would be minimum.  I doubt that Tory passed
>   all courses (the first time), but I have no facts to support that.

My reasoning is that the NC$$ rules are there to prevent academically poor
students from playing in their freshman year. That being said, you can't then
turn around and let someone play who has marks that pitiful. My point on the
unfairness is illustrated by this example. Let's say we have two students
with identical marks, but in different provinces, with different marking
schemes. They each get 61% in all their courses. Student A is at Victoria HS
in B.C., so he gets C's in all his courses. He has a 2.00 GPA, and can play.
Student B is at Massena, NY HS. In New York, I think, 61% is only a C-. That
means that he will have a 1.67 GPA and won't be allowed to play. But they got
exactly the same marks.

My point with Tory is that he is being helped by the fact that he can not
possibly get a D. The 4-point scale, however, assumes that a D is possible.
What the NC$$ should do is convert all marks to percentages, and then work
back from there. That is the only way to be fair to everyone.

(BTW, Bri, I hope I remembered correctly what you said about the NY marking
scheme. If not, let me know.)

I hope I've made myself clearer (although I fear I haven't :) ),
John

--
John C.K. Edwards       ONLY _13_ DAYS UNTIL I GO HOME!!!! :-) :-) (Dec.19)
Poli Sci/Law III      GO CATS GO!!! (9-20)     TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!!! (5-7)