Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1993 07:02:26 EST
Ryan Robbins wrote:
>University of Maine President Frederick Hutchinson and Athletic
>Director Michael Ploszek called for an investigation of the
>Jeff Tory eligibility situation Sunday. The announcements comes
>two days after hed coach Shawn Walsh said he knew there might
>be problems with Tory's eligibility.

Good. The more I heard, the more I blame the UMaine hockey program,
particularly Coach Walsh.

>[...]
>Tory, a freshman defenseman, was ruled academically ineligible
>last week by the NCAA. At issue is how pass marks in pass/fail
>courses Tory took in high scool should be scored. According to
>the NCAA, Tory failed to achieve a 2.0 GPA in high school.

Ryan, are you sure it was pass marks in pass/fail courses? Or was it pass
marks in normal courses? Pass/Fail courses are almost unheard of, in my
experience, in British Columbia.

As I said before, British Columbia schools give a "Pass" to final marks
between 50-59%. In B.C., you can not get a final mark below a C and pass a
course. If you get what would be a C- in a mid-term report, it is recorded as
a P (Pass). D's are not used in final marks. I'll repeat the B.C. marking
scheme, so you understand what I am saying:

Mark(%)  Mid-term   Final
86-100      A         A
74-85       B         B
67-73       C+        C+
60-66       C         C
50-59       C-        P   <<<<--------
40-49       D         F
0-39        E         F

If what is in dispute is P's like I have described above, then I can see no
way that the NC$$ could possibly call Jeff Tory eligible, and still maintain
that athletes are "student-athletes". We are talking about marks in the 50s.
If I applied to Maine to study Poli Sci with those kind of marks, I would set
off gales of laughter in the Maine admissions office, as I should.

OTOH, I suppose I can see Maine's argument, since the P is equivalent to a C-,
and if the NC$$ throws out + and -, then maybe he should be given a 2.00 GPA.
But, if the NC$$ were to do that, then that would mean that any student coming
out of B.C. would be guaranteed a 2.00 average. Is that fair? I don't think so.

I don't understand why Maine would continue to recruit someone who had marks
that bad. It is not as if Tory was the first person coming out of B.C. to
Maine, heck, Kariya played for the same Junior A team as Tory, so they can't
claim ignorance.

BTW, the reason I know so much about P marks has nothing to do with how well I
did in English Lit in high school. Honest. d:-) I had a friend who was always
getting them. No, really. d:-)

--
John C.K. Edwards       ONLY _13_ DAYS UNTIL I GO HOME!!!! :-) :-) (Dec.19)
Poli Sci/Law III      GO CATS GO!!! (9-20)     TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!!! (5-7)