Sender:
From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1993 17:05:28 -0400
As you all well know, BU beat UND 6-3 last night.

As in UND's game Friday night vs. Northeastern, UND came out strong
early, taking a 2-1 lead, but then faltered in the second period as UND's
star defensemen, Bombardir and Naumenko, seemed to disappear.

North Dakota's goalie let them down again as Todd Jones let in 6 goals while
making only 23 saves (ouch!).  BU took slapshot after slapshot that always
hit Jones, but then glanced off of him and into the net.  UND switched to
backup goalie Toby Kvalevog in the third and he was perfect with 17 saves.

Overall, I thought BU played bad positionally, but won on sheer talent and
goaltending.  Herlofsky came up big on many occassions, saving BU when the
defense got crossed up.

BU's forwards are good and the talent runs deep, but they are far from
clicking.  On many occassions, forwards ran into each other or both a wing
and a center thought they were playing left wing (at least that's what it
looked like).  BU may have put 46 shots on net, but a lot of them were
opportunistic off of UND miscues and turnovers.

BU will be all right, but they will need a few more weeks to get into good
form.

UND may want to go with the new goalie as their mainstay since their starter
is in a lot of trouble.

SCORING:
(from the Boston Globe)

UND (0-2)    2 0 1 - 3
BU (1-0)     3 3 0 - 6

BU  (0:42)  Rich Brennan (Steve Thornton, Jay Pandolfo)
UND (2:38)  Dino Grillo (Kevin Hoogsteen, Brad Bombardir)
UND (11:13) Hoogsteen (Marty Schriner, Nick Naumenko)
BU  (15:14) Thornton (Brennan)
BU  (19:27) Mike Prendergast (Shawn Bates, Mike Pomichter)

BU  (0:35)  Pandolfo (Thornton, Brennan)
BU  (9:11)  Jon Pratt (Jon Jenkins)
BU  (15:45) Pomichter (Kaj Linna)

UND (2:09)  Keith Murphy (Landon Wilson, Darcy Mitani)

Saves:  ND, Todd Jones 23, Toby Kvalevog 17;  BU, Derek Herlofsky, 27.

In other side news last night, the torch was passed with about 4 minutes
left in the third period as I named my replacement as the Ogre.

The crowd in section 8 and 9 was chanting in anticipation for three minutes
before the ceremony was held in the stands (after an icing call).

When the crowd fell silent, standing on their feet, I picked out a Junior
by the name of John (impossible Greek last name to spell) and the crowd went
wild.  Camera's flashed as I knighted him with a foam BU bone and presented
him to the crowd.  After his inaugural cheer, his friends chanted "Zorba" as
the crowd went wild.
I then proceeded to do one last cheer in front of the home crowd, my farewell
screams.  Although one could not hear me yell "Thank You" to the crowd over
their noise, I am sure many people read my lips.

It was funny but expected that after the game, the fans and school newspaper
reporters were all swarming him, while I walked away with the friends I walked
in with when I bacame the OGRE a year ago.  The last Ogre was on hand to
witness the torch being passed to the next generation (and congratulate him).
He was also sitting with the friends he had before he ever became the OGRE.

I guess what I am experiencing is a microcosm of being a celebrity.  All the
way up to the third period, I was greeted by everyone.  People got excited to
be riding the `T' with me.  As soon as the torch was passed, people that had
fought to get my attention earlier, now rushed past me to get to the new OGRE.
(I think they might knick-name him Zorba)
I expected this to happen, but not this quickly.

I am not complaining, just finding it interesting.

On a side note, the BU hockey players themselves came up to me at T Anthony's
afterwards (Pizza place) and thanked me for being so supportive.  They let me
know how much they appreciated what I did for school spirit and the team last
year.

Just the bablings of one has-been hockey fan

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre