Sender:
From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1993 19:34:23 EST
> The true fights were called as roughing.  Let's just legalize it but
> not let it detract from the game.

How does legalizing fighting not detract from the game?  If it is legalized,
fights will occur much more offen...the true, game stopping knock-down drag-out
NHL fights, not just the mainly minor skirmishes that happen now.  If that
happens, it can do nothing but detract from the game.  Personally, I would like
to see any player caught throwing anything that could be construed as a punch
thrown out...that goes for the NHL as well as the NCAA.  I think even NCAA
refs are a little too soft in calling the fighting majors.

> If you won't give me that at least give me this...
>
>            Remove the rule that states that players must wear a
> full face mask.  That amount of stick work in college hockey is
> rediculous.  Everytime a player is in the corner he is constaly being hit
> by the stick, slashes (two handed or otherwise..) tripped dragged etc.
> This is one rule which will decrease this nonsense (and thus speed up
> play even more....)

I don't even give you this.  First off, I really don't see any more stick work
*above the waste or shoulders* in the NCAA than I do in the pros, but even so,
what does it matter in the NCAA.  High sticking is still a penalty and if it
occurs, at least it hits the player in the facemask rather than in the face.  I
would much rather be highsticked more frequently with the protection of a
facemask than be high-sticked occasionally and have to have stitches or
teeth replaced.  Additionally, pucks do a lot less damage when they hit
facemasks than when they hit faces and the same is true for being checked into
the boards.  Even if it does result in more high-sticking, I would rather see a
full facemask on every hockey player at all levels than have the injuries
caused by not having them.  I don't know how many times I have watched a player
in the NHL have to leave a game, at least for a while, because of an injury a
facemask would have prevented.  He is not helping his team on the bench.

I think the argument about facemasks is as stupid as saying football players
shouldn't have face masks because it encourages people to grab them.  The
argument is just twisted logic used by traditionalists who think the game has
lost its "machismo."

        *        Dave [log in to unmask]         *
        *                  Cornell '91 OSU Med '95                     *
        * I may be in debt for the rest of my life, but I get to wear  *
        *             this cool, white lab coat all the time.          *