Sender:
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:47:47 -0600
8bit
From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Hi Nathan:

Is sport a means to an end, or an end?  I think it depends on the person as much as anything else.  First of all, in any sport, hockey included, only a relatively small minority of players will ever manage to make a living out of it.  It may be a means to an end to get an athletic scholarship to college, or to eventually become a pro, but a lot of times people play sports just for the fun of it.  I play tennis.  I'm pretty good for a man my age and condition, too.  I strive mightily to raise my rating past the current 4.0 but likely will never achieve that (at 57 my body is rebelling), but I still strive, I still play, I still enjoy - and I will never, ever earn one penny from it.  The activity may have side benefits such as health, but that isn't the reason I play.

For me, then, tennis is the end.  Why is it so hard to imagine football, hockey, squeakball, etc., could also be an end in itself?  Would those sports disappear if you couldn't get a scholarship?  I think not.