Sender:
From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:06:55 EST
< Snip> [log in to unmask] wrote:

< So while the fact that deaths and injuries don't occur with more frequency
may be <somewhat a testament to the players and officials that participate in
these <sports,

Mathieu Schneider cross checked ALex Selivanov in the HEAD as Alex attempted
a scoring attempt on Richter. That's a testament.

A testament to officials: the humanity of "lousy judgment" will prevail.

According to RX television, in an overview of sports injuries last night,
more amateur athletes are specializing in one sport at a younger age which is
causing more injuries. Thus,  OVERUSE injuries are on the rise now EVEN in
amateurs. Other reasons for injuries are improper equipment, bad coaching,
and poor training techniques.

>I think it is even more a testament to the fact that the players and coaches
<understand that there are limits,

For players, being constrained by their equipment could be a limitation.
NCAA coaches certainly would eliminate the full; that's a limitation. (-:

>if exceeded, put their team at a competitive <disadvantage and in the
extreme will >lead to drastic curtailment or even banning of <their sport.

The name of the game is to exceed, why else would there be a penalty box.
The more unskilled teams play at a competitive disadvantage, so they'll
employ  game tactics to outplay the more skilled team, when that doesn't work
they employ  illegal tactics. How many times have we all seen it!

I've yet to hear a corporation go public pulling their sponsorship. Wendys
joined the NHL more recently. Violence works as a double edged sword.
Regrettably there are many fans who like it. The yin and yang of it is: skill
versus force. Let's just curtail the vicious (illegal) unnecessary behavior
that causes irreparable injury.

Vicki