Sender:
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:14:51 -0600
7bit
From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: "Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
> Div III uses the two referee system.  I doubt these are the best refs
(the
> best ones will obviously be doing Div I games, surely a more lucrative
> venture for them), and like any fan have screamed in dismay about
non-calls
> on the opponents and bad calls against us.  But you know what I have
not
> seen?  Inconsistency produced by having two referees.  Say what you
want,
> the 2 ref system is superior!  There is just too much action going on
for
> one person to see it all, and linesmen, by whatever title you give
them, are
> just too reluctant to make the calls on everything they see.  After
all, its
> not really their job.

The two referee system was a disaster in the ECAC ... the original
intention was for guys to catch things the first referee doesn't see ...
noble theory, terrible in practice.

The two ref system was universally hated, and D-I got rid of it.   The
calls were too inconsistent -- you'd have cases of one ref calling
something that the other had seen, but let go purposefully -- refs
calling things from 100 feet away, that another ref let go from in close
or didn't see.  Players never knew what was going to be called and what
wasn't --- then in some instances, you had one ref who resented the
system and tried to take over the game, causing a disaster.

I never want to see two refs again ....

AW