Sender:
From:
Brian Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 00:31:29 -0500
On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Richard Hungerford wrote:

> Championship.  While it is great to have a new winner, how you play the game
> does matter.  Brown used ugly tactics and came away with no honor.

Oh please! This is ridiculous. Them's fightin' words.

I enjoyed this contest, my status as a Dishonorable Brown Fan
notwisthstanding, and left the venue satisfied that the better team had
won and still admiring UNH for putting in a fine effort. They got some bad
breaks, and perhaps weren't in top form today, but were certainly worthy
of the title match. But I felt Brown played the better (albeit admittedly
rougher) game and emerged victorious.  I'm sorry but not all of hockey is
just pass-and-shoot.

Now I return home to read the hungerf summary and I'm now forced to have a
philosphical and moral debate over with myself: Even if the zebras will
allow it, should team should play a more physical game if they can,
knowing that it may perhaps be toeing the line of legality? This is not my
idea of celebration.

Yes there were some questionable calls that were missed. Similarly there
were some calls made on both sides that I didn't agree with. There were
certainly plenty that the Wildcat fans felt should be called, as every
time a UNH player fell to the ice in the third a resounding roar of
outrage would emerge. But (especially as mere spectators) we can only
accept the referees calls and root for the penalty kill unit. I see the
officiating staff as being as much as part of the breaks of the game as
fluke goals or injuries.

I could apply many of Hungerford's comments verbatim to the
Brown-Princeton men's series but I will not. Instead I recognize that
Princeton got away with what they could and in the process wore the Bears
down to take the series. If it's considered legal then so be it, and it is
disappointing for the Bears, but as such Princeton played the better game.
After watching this three-game series and the women's final, this is the
conclusion that I have reached from my debate.

I refuse to let this game simply pass as "junk" and instead I will hail
the only team left unhailed, even if the de facto HOCKEY-L voice of
women's hockey will not: Hail Bruno!

Brian Fisk
Dishonorable U. '98

Brian Fisk                                                [log in to unmask]

Brown Women's Hockey: 1998 ECAC Champions!