Sender:
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 10:45:08 -0600
7bit
From:
Mike Machnik wrote:

> Fans may not know the process, but that doesn't mean the committee doesn't
> know it.

Besides the committee telling us they have a process, what evidence of
it do we have?  On the other hand, we have plenty of evidence that they
don't have a process:

        In 95, Clarkson wins the conference regular season and  tourney
        but does not get an auto bye.  This year, BU accomplishes the
        same feat and does get an auto bye.

        In '94, Michigan and Lake Superior State meet in the
        quarterfinals to preserve the seedings after the move of
        Mass-Lowell into the West region.  This year, Minnesota is not
        allowed to meet North Dakota, instead producing a complete
        absurdity in the numbers.

I'm sure other people can cite other instances.  The impression left is
that it is, indeed, made up as they go along.  Mike, I think you're
being too trusting of the people in charge.  Their words do not match
their actions.  If the committee has a process that the fans just don't
know about, it must be unbelievably complex.

J. Michael Neal