Sender:
From:
Daniel Karipides <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 14:22:00 -0400
Sorry if the discussion has died down on this topic.  As a Miami
alumnus and a proud Oxford townie I feel I must respond.

Some previous posters have speculated to the degree Miami University
had permission of the Miami Tribe to use the term "Redskin".  A
resolution from the Miami Tribe is framed outside the meeting room of
the Board of Trustees of Miami University.  (This is upstairs in the
Murstein Alumni Center and, unfortunately, not open to the public.)  I
do not have the actual text of the resolution, but in essence it
states that the Miami Tribe is impressed with the proud manner in
which the university represents the name of their tribe and that they
are happy to have the university use the term "Redskin" (as well as
the name "Miami", I believe).

Others have pointed out that the use "grossly distorted
representations" of Native Americans as mascots is an additional
source of insensitivity on college campuses.  For those who are not
familiar with Miami, the university has two mascots, neither of which
are regularly used at Goggin Ice Arena.  (In fact, if ice hockey at
Miami has a mascot at all, its the Miami Precision Skating Team that
often performs between periods :) One is Tom-o-Hawk, a large bird
costume, similar to the famous San Diego chicken.  Except for the
name, I do not believe that the this mascot has any Native American
reference or connection.  I would estimate that Tom-o-Hawk was
introduced about 12-15 years ago.  The second "mascot" in use has a
much longer tradition.  It is common at sporting events to have a
Miami student, dressed in full traditional attire of the Miami Tribe
perform traditional tribe dances.  (I am not sure when the use of this
"mascot" began, but it is certainly before I was born in Oxford in
1971.)  I think it is significant that this is not simply a random
student putting on his idea of Native American attire and
disrespectfully jumping around.  As I understand it, the student is
sent to the leaders of the tribe (in Oklahoma?) and there he is taught
the traditional dance(s) by real members of the tribe.  Up until now,
at least, both sides have been publically happy with the arrangement.

None of the above changes the fact that the Miami Tribe no longer
approves of the term "Redskin".  I agree that this term could be
considered offensive and, given that the tribe has indicated that it
is to them, should be changed.  As a Miami alumnus I would hope that
the University chooses a name with Native American reference.  I do
not at all like the name "Tribe", which is the "alternative" nickname
of Miami at the moment.  I cringe at the thought of the Miami "Red
Bricks", a suggestion that was made a few years back.  (Can you
imagine chanting "Go Bricks!" at a basketball game?)  I am a Miami
hockey fan transplanted at Cornell University and although I have
thoroughly enjoyed the hockey here, I will never find the nickname
"Big Red" anything but unimaginative.

RANT ON

The name Redskin was clearly a derogatory term in the past and,
although the acceptance of names and words changes with time, it is
certainly understandably offensive now.  I think this is where the
issue ends.  The issue does not have anything to do with the "white
extermination of native peoples", blatant racism or any other
conscious acts of hate.  I have read posts to the list suggesting that
it is not the right of the people who have benefited from the
extermination of a group of people to decide what is and what is not
insensitive.  I think such statements skew the issue and are
inflammatory.  I come from a heritage that is a meld of Greek with
Russian and German Jews.  I can assure you that while Native Americans
were dying at the hands of "my people" that "my people" were
themselves dying at the hands of the countless other "peoples".  I do
not hold people responsible for the actions of the their ancestors and
I refuse to take responsibility for countless acts of violence just
because I check the "white, not of hispanic origin" box on college
applications.  I prefer to judge people on their own actions and hope
that others judge me by mine.

I have been to an uncountable number of Miami sporting events
throughout the years.  I have heard, joined in and led many chants of,
"Here we go, Redskins, here we go!"  Never did I or anyone I talked to
feel that there was a hostile intent in these cheers and I take
offense at anyone suggesting that that was _my_ intent.

RANT OFF

Now, lets get back to hockey, shall we?  How does Miami's team look
for this next year?

-Dan

-----
Dan Karipides                              [log in to unmask]

Chair, Graduate and Professional Student Assembly

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can imagine us attacking this world, because they'd never
expect it." --Unknown (but I'm still looking)