Sender:
From:
Troy J Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:51:35 -0400
To: "Barkan, Jon" <[log in to unmask]>
As appeared in Foster's Daily Democrat on Sat morning july,13 by barry
scanlon...

UNH HOCKEY LANDS TOP DEFENSEMAN

DURHAM- Less than two weeks into the recruiting season, the University of
New Hampshire men's hockey program has made a big splash by getting a
verbal commitment from one of New England's top player's.

     Eric Lind, a 6-2 195-pound defenseman from Stamford, Conn.,
committed earlier this week to come to UNH in 1997.

     The 18-year old Lind occupied the top of UNH's wish list, according
to sources.
     "I'm very excited about it, actually," Lind said Friday evening of
his decision. "I can't wait to get there. I liked the coaching staff a
lot. When I was up there I loved the campus a lot. I just liked what it
had to offer for me."
      Lind starred the last two seasons at Avon Old Farms. He scored nine
goals and collected 19 assists last winter for the Avon, Conn., prep
school. Lind isn't sure if he'll return for a third year at Avon.
     He said he's leaning toward accepting an offer to play in Des
Moines, Iowa in the United States Hockey League.
     After the NCAA recruiting period opened July 1, Lind, a strong
student, heard from several schools including Wisconsin, Providence,
Harvard, Yale, Union, St. Lawrence, Dartmouth and Cornell.
     Lind said he wanted to select a school early, but didn't anticipate
making a decision so quickly.
     "It just all fell together," he said. "I feel really confident in my
decision. A lot of people told me to wait it out, to wait until the
Hockey Night in Boston tournament (which starts later this month). But I
really liked UNH.
     Lind said he heard that the Boston schools were also interested in
his services, be he "wasn't going to go in the city."
     Lind took an informal visit last month to Durham and came away
impressed after being given a tour of the 6,000 seat Whittemore Center,
which at this time last year was under construction.
     "It was beautiful," he said "It was the nicest rin I saw at all the
colleges."
     Lind who shoots right, began to establish his reputation as a rising
star when he scored 19 goals and 24 points in his final season at New
Canaan High School.
     He then transfered to Avon Old Farms and put up 5-15-20 number his
sophomore year at Avon.
     Lind expects to sign a national letter of intent to attend UNH
during the NCAA's early signing period in November.
     Whether he stays at Avon or takes his talents to Des Moines, Lind
said he hopes to make an immediate impact at UNH when he arrives on
campus in the fall of 1997.
     "I'd say I'm more of an offensive defenseman," he said. "I feel like
I can play the physical aspect of the game if needed. I'd say skating is
a strong part of my game."
     Lind is considered one of the top young defensemen in New England,
joinig the ranks of Bobby Allen of Cushing and Marty Hughes of Lawrence
Academy.

GO BLUE