Sender:
From:
"Steven R. Glazewski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:23:00 CDT
To: Todd Myrick <[log in to unmask]>
OK, as of 1 Jan 96 there were 50 "Division 1" programs; 42 (including UIC)
in D-1 conferences, two independents (Army and Air Force, and six who played
mostly non-D-1 schedules (Iona, Fairfield, Holy Cross, Canisius, Connecticut,
 and Villanova).  We lost one (UIC), and are adding Mankato St and UNO.  I'm
assuming that they will be independents for at least one year.  Whether they
will be tournament-eligible D-1s, like Army and Air Force, or
non-tournament-eligible like the other six remains to be seen.

Barring some radical change in scheduling, the current WCHA teams can't
offer more than about a half-dozen games to the two newbies, and most of
that will have to come from playing in Alaska, where the games won't count
towards UAA's and UAF's game limit.  I don't see them getting many games vs
the CCHA, either, which leaves lots of travel against USAFA, USMA, some ECAC
teams, maybe the "other six", and some D-2 schools (Alabama-Huntsville would
be a challenge!) or D-3 schools.

I think Army used it's games against the "other six" to get to 20 D-1 games,
and thus qualify for consideration for the tournament.  If that's true, then
MSU and UNO may reach that "eligible" plateau.  Which brings in an
interesting scenario:  I'll use MSU because they are a well-established
team:
        Suppose MSU schedules 20 D-1 games:  home/home vs the "other six"
(total = 12) and USAFA/USMA (total = 16); plus one game each vs the 4 teams
who played less than 31 games last year (Yale, Dartmouth, Union, Princeton).
 How good could their record be, realistically?  Next thread!!!

Steve G
Original Text
From [log in to unmask] (The College Hockey Discussion List), on
4/5/96 11:21 AM:
Who knows Nebraska-Omaha's and Mankato State's team nicknames...anyone?

Also, does anyone know the percentage of the 44 (now 45 with one dropping
and two adding) D-1 hockey programs that are mostly D-II or lower with
their other sports, and the percentage that are truely all D-1?

There are a lot of schools which ONLY compete in hockey at the D1 level...
but how many?