Sender:
From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 20:58:56 EST
While I am waiting for the ice to harden, I will expand on my comments to
info-hockey-l.

  It was nice to hear Bob Norton give the ECAC some praise for their play last
weekend.  "The ECAC really elevated themselves and their reputations."  He also
commented on the Perrin/St. Louis scoring tandem: "They're as good as I
watched as a duo."  Western viewers probably like his commentary better since
he didn't know the hight
schools that the Canadian players attended. :-)

Garanazzo really played a hard game.  Yet Thomas just seemed to have his number.
He is a fantastic player.

UVM did a good job on clamping down on the Colorado power play.  I kept waiting
for the PP razzle dazzle I had been reading about, but I never saw any.  Also
Cole's call of the game was a "let 'em play" style, so there weren't many pen
penalties called.  I thought Cole and Taylor called an excellent game though.
I didn't see many interference or behind the play stuff on the tv, so maybe
both teams played pretty clean.  But Cole never effected the outcome, and there
were penalties ca alalled on Both CC and UVM in the first overtime.  Both were very
deserved, as the replays showed.

Attendance was stated to be only 111,328.  I would think the NC$$ would be a l
little disappointed on the turn-out (must be all those tickets offered on
Hockey-l had an effect.)  Woops, that's 11,328.  111,328--that would be a
turn-out.  I think Riverfront holds 16,000, and there looked like there was a
lot of empty seats on the tv.  Also, why did they have that awful recorded
music between plays?  Where were   thends?

It seemed like a lot of shots hit the post.  Thomas especially was the
benefi, including the one by Colorado
Colorado's Eltring in the first overtime.  Thomas never saw it.

In the first overtime Vermont really domminated.  Lambert made outstanding saves
on the first two UVM shots by St. Louis and Eboli.  The replay showed Eboli
had the five hole targeted, and Lambert closed the pads just in time.

The second overtime saw Colorado dominating.  Either the Catamounts were tired
or the wet ice was affecting their attack, because the Cats seemed to have a
lot of trouble bringing the puck up-ice.

I thought the winning score was OK.  Although Remackel knocked the puck down
with his glove, he knocked it straight down onto the ice.  Thomas didn't know
where the puck was, and when he moved the puck went off the back of his leg into
the net.  While the goal was fluky, it was deserved.  Colorado had put intense
pressure on Thomas the past 5 minutes, and it just seemed inevitable that they
were going to score.

Back to ESPN2.  How ironic, the one time college hockey gets television
coverage, a disaster happens.  I hope it doesn't deter ESPN from showing more
college hockey next year.
Brian Morris                        RPI Engineers--An Underachieving Team
[log in to unmask]           Go  -------