Sender:
From:
"Kevin B. Powers" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 22:13:41 -0500
On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Andrew Weise wrote:

> > Clarkson, to me, has often underachived in the ECAC tournament, which
> > has led to bad seedings, and poor showings in the NCAA Tournament.
> > Take a look at some of the names that have passed through Clarkson,
> > they're pretty impressive:  Hugo Belanger, Scott Thomas, Steve Dubinsky,
> > Jarmo Kekalainen, Chris Rogles, Jason Currie, Marko Tuomainen, Craig
> > Conroy, Ed Heinrich, Patrice Robitaille, Brian Mueller - I know there's
> > others.  That's a lot of talent.
>
> Those are the names that typified Clarkson in the early 90s. Most of
> them actually did well in the ECAC and everyone (except for Thomas,
> Kekalainen, & Currie) were prominent players on that team in '91 that
> upset LSSU in the NCAAs and went to the Frozen Four. Currie was on the
> roster in '91, but I don't remember how much he played.

Scott Thomas was a big part of the '91 Clarkson team.  I don't have stats
from that year, but  Thomas skated RW on the #1 line with LW Mike
Casselman and Freshman C Craig Conroy

Jason Currie was also a significant contributor in 90-91.  Clarkson
entered that year without an established #1 goaltender.  As a freshman,
Currie and Chris Rogles teamed up for a very successful Friday/Saturday
rotation that lasted the entire season.  Currie replaced Rogles in
game #1 against LSSU after they jumped to a large lead early in the 2nd
period.  Clarkson came back and won that game.

Jarmo Kekalanian left Clarkson at the end of the 89-90 season to sign
with the Boston Bruins.  I believe that he had a year of eligibility
left (many people disagree with me).  However, his younger brother Janne
played 8 games (9 goals and 9 assists) in 90-91 before returning to
Finland during the Thanksgiving break.  Who knows what kind of number he
could of put up.

Thinking back about Clarkson's 1991 semi-final appearance in the NC$$
Tournament is really getting me excited for this weekend.

Lets Go Tech!

Kevin Powers
Clarkson '88 '90 '92