Sender:
From:
"Barkan, Jon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 13:57:00 PST
Hi All!!!

I just saw the note about Snively Arena and how much it will be
missed.....well, just a comment or two on the whole revolution known as "new
rinks."

I will always have fond memories of Boston Garden, Snively Arena and rinks
built with character and style.....but sometimes change has to be.....

Matthews Arena, where I spent my college hockey formative years, was just
made into an Olympic size ice surface......as great as it is for the
game.....a piece of me was put to rest when the transformation was
completed.....
Never again will we see the old Fernie teams that were big and slow and sort
of goonish at times......otherwise known as NU hockey.......somebody try to
picture Marty Raus (as in House) or Paul "Father" Flanagan trying to get
from the corner of the new Olympic size ice to the front of the net.....they
would need buses to get there fast enough......

Sorry for the digression, but my point is change is good......but DON'T
FORGET THE PAST!!!!! Tradition is a HUGE key to college hockey and the only
way to continue traditions is to tell the tales of the old Snively to your
friends and kids.....Don't let the old Mariucci die...don't let Boston
Garden be forgotten....show your friends and kids the videotape of Bobby
Orr's goal and of Beanpots and Hockey East finals of the past.......that's
how we can always keep those buildings around....by remembering them!!!

These new rinks deserve a chance to build and make their own
memories......don't denigrate them because YOU loved the old rinks........

Look at the bright side, two fish were thrown at UNH last Friday
night.......the old Snively isn't gone and it'll never be forgotten!!!!!!

Yours in the Bond of Chaos of College Hockey,
Jon Barkan

PS "Hockey is a slippery game, played on ice!" Jack Parker