Sender:
From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 11:19:04 -0500
Eric wrote (on INFO-HOCKEY-L, about Mankato wanting to go D1 by 1996-7 and
joining the WCHA):
>The WCHA has 10 teams
>allready and it is hard because of the Number of games restriction. Take
>the Sioux they only get to Play CC two time this year, Myself I am
>disappointed because CC is an exciting team to watch. If you add MSU to
>the table what is going  to happen to the schedule, I don't really want
>to lose the Non-Conference schedule,

Actually, the problem has pretty much already been solved for you, if you
take a look at what the CCHA has done with 11 teams where one is based in
Alaska.  Now, I realize that the distances involved in the WCHA are much
larger than those in the CCHA, but cutting back from playing each conference
opponent 4 times (with 2 exceptions per year) down to 3 each would free up
at least 2 more games for non-conference opponents (more if you have to go
to Alaska for 3).  The WCHA would probably have to go to some travel partner
relationship for the 10 teams in the lower 48 (especially for the odd games)
which would be pretty obvious if one looks at a map