Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 10:25:57 -0500
While switching stations this morning, I came upon WRKO-AM680 which
was doing a telethon (or whatever you want to call it) during its
morning show for Travis Roy.  I believe that during four hours from 6
to 10 am, they raised about $100,000.  BTW, their number for pledges
today is 617-353-0800.

It sounded like this might be an all-day event involving the other
shows on the station - they were talking about going until 7 pm this
evening.  Those in the area could also go down to BU as they are
broadcasting live from 1019 Comm Ave, and there is also some sort of
setup at the BU student union.

It was mentioned that this was part of an effort by a number of
Boston tv and radio stations to raise money for the Roys.  Both Lee
and Brenda Roy made an appearance on the air while I was listening, as
did a number of Boston media and sports personalities.  One of the
announcers said that in 30 years in the business, he had never seen
people come together for something as they have for Travis Roy.

While I was listening, I heard them say that a pledge form had been
put up on the net at http://www.boston.com, but I haven't been able to
find it.

In a related area...Russ Conway wrote in the Tuesday (07Nov95)
Lawrence Eagle-Tribune that the Boston Bruins will be donating to the
Roys $100 for every goal they score between Tuesday and the NHL
All-Star Game in January.  Maybe they also hope this will spark the
team. :-)  In addition, the Bruins and the NHL have combined to pledge
money from the tickets sold for the skills contest that is held on
All-Star Weekend.
Mike Machnik                 [log in to unmask]           [log in to unmask]
*****      Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page located at:        *****
***** http://www.tiac.net/users/machnik/MChockey/MChockey.html      *****