Sender:
From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 22:10:03 -0400
Since everybody has been posting their thoughts about Providence, I'll
give my thoughts, as well.

EXCELLENT!!!!

The city couldn't have been a better venue for the Frozen Four. I was
very impressed with the attitude of the city and how much it seemed to
welcome the teams along with being proud to have them. This was my first
Ultimate Quartet, and I don't think we could have picked a better one to
attend.

I also wanted to express my thanks to Ron Correia for organizing the dinner
on Thursday. A great job was done by Ron getting everybody to join in and
meet each other. I'm glad I FINALLY got to place faces to these names. I
enjoyed meeting everybody and hope to see a lot of these same people here
in Albany next year.

Now to the teams....

Michigan -- A big, strong, and fast team. I now see why they've been at the
top of the polls/ratings/etc. for the past few years. A team I was glad to
finally see play. My heart went out to them at about 5:45 PM Thursday
afternoon.

Minnesota -- A team full of heart. They came ready to play, but couldn't
keep up with the Terriers. It didn't sink in until after their semifinal,
but this team has made 11 straight tournaments, 6 (I think) Final Fours
within those 11 tourneys. Amazing. Coach Woog must be doing something
right! Especially since the entire team is from Minnesota! Who was criticizing
Woog about that??

Maine -- They have nothing to hang their head about, and neither do the
fans. Remember, not many people thought they'd be in Providence, much less
the tournament. It's already been said, but I'll reiterate: Maine will
be  the team to beat in the HE next year. Of course, BU may have something
to say about that -- again. :-)

BU -- A class act, no doubt at all. They just come on to the ice and beat
you. Talent without (much) attitude. If anybody deserved to win, BU did.
Nothing against the other teams in Providence, but I was happy to see BU
walk away with the crown. Congrats to the Terriers!

Now the games....

Maine-Michigan:
Should I say anything? Two minutes short of the longest game in NCAA
history! It was an excellent game. It was a GREAT game since it went into
OT, 2OT, and 3OT! If the game ended in regulation, I don't think we'd
all be talking about what a great game it was. Regardless, it was still
fabulous! The Wolverines looked strong in the beginning, but Maine wouldn't
let them go without a fight. Like I said, my heart went out to Michigan.
Marty Turco was outstanding! The team looked REALLY tired near the end since
they were giving all they possibly could. I was even more impressed with Maine
due to Maine's size compared to Michigan. I thought Michigan would wear them
out (especially in the OTs), but Maine kept fighting. Blair Allison couldn't
have been better. After his incredible save in the 2nd OT, sprawling on the ice
as he was, my girlfriend said to me, "I just don't get it!" Ditto. I'm glad
the game was won when it was. I was hungry. :-)

Minnesota-BU:
Tough one for the Gophers. I thought before the game that they could pull
off the upset, and I thought I might have seen it when they tied it at 3 in
the third (I believe). But, there was BU, making sure that it wouldn't happen.
Minnesota seemed to lose some steam in the 3rd period, and BU took advantage.
The Terriers put them away with some solid defense and solid goaltending.
Just another impressive performance by the Terriers. I'm sure we'll see the
Gophers again next year (as we do every year!).

Maine-BU:
Terriers, Terriers, and more Terriers. I thought we had another close one
when Jeremy's kid brother made it 3-2, but there's BU again. Just when
the opposition made it look close, BU blew them away. Can't say much more than
that. A couple of class teams in a classy rivalry (well, sometimes :-) )
that will probably never end.

Extra ramblings:
Probably most disappointing was the Fan Fair. I wasn't sure what to expect,
but I expected more. Granted, it was a good place to bring the kids, if I
had any. I should note that I wasn't there on Friday, however. We went on
Saturday morning before the title game.

All in all, it was a great time. I've decided that I will live in Providence.
Of course, that is if I can convince my company to open an office there. :-)

+  Andy Weise                 Let's Go Tech!!     [log in to unmask]  +
=  SUNY Potsdam '93                                                       =
+  Union College '95?         Let's Go U!!        [log in to unmask] +
+   Performance Systems International, Inc.                               +