Sender:
From:
Marc Babich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 13:21:58 EST
On Sat, Feb.4 1995, Indulis R Rutkus wrote:

Star-Tribune : " Minnesota's Casey Hankinson and Tech's Jason Wright drew
fighting disqualifications, although the Gophers argued - with apparent
justification - that Hankinson never threw a punch... The Gophers also
complained that the original penalty that ignited the spark - a tripping
call against Pat Mikesch for tripping Minnesota goaltender Jeff Callinan
- was somehow forgotten. When the referees met to dole out infractions,
Mikesch was not among the guilty."

Actually, Hankinson seemed to do his fair share of starting the fight.  He
had Wright's jersey half-way off at one point before I saw Wright throw any
punches (although I may have missed some, there was a lot going on at the
time ;) ).  When someone is trying to pull your jersey over your head, I
think its fair to say that it's time to defend yourself, which Wright did.
The fact that once it started, it was a very one-sided fight, should be
irrelevent.

However, I do agree that I think the ref's missed a call against Mikesch.
There was a delayed call before the ensuing fight and scuffle broke out,
and in the end, the teams were still at even strength.

Marc Babich
Michigan Tech