Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 1994 00:28:58 -0500
>John H wrote:
>
>> [Btw...Mayers was a member of the 1991-92 Thornhill Thunderbird team
>> that has about 15 members playing in the CCHA, while Carter was with
>> the rival Wexford Raiders...the Spartan's #1 farm team...at the time.
>> But, if you don't follow the plight of players from Thornhill and
>> Wexford, this is meaningless drivel.]
>
>The Hockey News always publishes the standings of the Major (or
>whatever the proper term is) Canadian Junior A leagues.  The Canadian
>players who eventually end up in college are not allowed to have played
>in these leagues because they are considered professional.  Years ago,
>THN also included at least the standings and leading scorers of the
>Tier-II leagues, but these don't seem to be published there any more on
>a regular basis.  This was of some use to seeing the performance of
>future college players.  What I was wondering is what Tier-II (or
>whatever the proper term is now) leagues are there and what teams are
>in each?

First, the proper term for the OHL, WHL and QMJHL is "Major Junior". But
I will try not to flame anyone for using Major Junior A. :-) What was
called "Tier II" is now just called Junior A, but many people (myself
included) still use the term. Calling it "Tier II Junior A" shouldn't
get you flamed. :-)

Anyways, there are 122 Junior A teams, grouped into 11 leagues. I won't
I will list all the teams here, for the sake of bandwidth and my keyboard.
The leagues are [J(A)HL = Junior (A) Hockey League]: British Columbia JHL,
Rocky Mountain JHL, Alberta JHL, Saskatchewan JHL, Manitoba JHL, Northern
Ontario JHL, Ontario JAHL, Metro JAHL, Central JHL, Quebec JAHL, Maritime
JAHL. Most of the leagues see their purpose as developing players for
Colleges and Major Junior leagues.

As far as getting standings and leading scorers for leagues, it is
fairly spotty. I get the Central League's weekly stats report (except
when our G.M. forgets it...like this week) and post it to the HOCKEYJR
mailing list. The best way to find stats and leading scorers from other
leagues is to look at papers from those areas. I find the Calgary Herald
to be fairly decent in terms of stats for the BCJHL, RMJHL and AJHL. I
suspect a paper from Vancouver might have good info on the BCJHL, but I
don't have access to one. :-( The Toronto Star provides standings from the
Ontario and Metro Leagues. The Journal de Montreal is also quite good for
the Quebec League.

Other than that, I can try to answer any questions you might have about
Jr. A hockey, by email, bearing in mind of course, that I know the Central
League best.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards          Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (7-5-1 15pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV            Owner: Ottawa Polar Bears (WIFFL) (6-2)