Sender:
From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 10:46:14 -0500
>I am sickened by Tardiff taking only 6 credits  a term, because, as a
>student who works hard at school, this is just another example oof how
>atheletes are putting the word "Athelete" before "student."  I mean, most
>kids heree at michigan take more tha6 credits during summer and spring
>terms, which are half as long as the regulaar winter and fall terms.

Wow   hold on a minute before you fly off the handle... Go back and look at the
 article.  It clearly states that Tardiff has already earned a BS degree at
 Maine
 Looks to me like he managed to work both in, and not PUT athlete before student

>Everyone knows why Tardiff was at Maine... And it isn't because he wanted
>to go to school.

Everyone??   hmmm I don't know that.. The man worked for and got a degree
how can you make the above statements.

As a post Grad, there were times that I would only carry 6 or so credits
trying to finish up, does that make me any less a person for it?

During my undergrad years I took up to 19 credits a QUARTER, big deal
Students of all types work at different paces.  I'm sure if you looked around
you, you will find some of your fellow "non-athlete" students taking just
6 credits, but no one jumps all over them.  These athletes are in the spot lite
and work very hard to juggle both school and sports.  Give them a break. It has
 already been stated that these students at maine did no wrong, that they were
a victim of a mistake betweens maines 6 credit minimun and the NCAA's 8 credits.

I sat with a very tired bunch of Hockey players just last evening, they had just
 come out of there final exams (we are on quarters) and were relaxing for a few
 minutes at the womens basketball game before heading off for practice. (we have
a sat, sun series this weekend).  These Kids (and they are just that, lets not
forget that) were dead tired, and putting everything they had into both
athletics and studies. And I'll defend the student athelete all the way.  Sure
You'll get a bad one here or there, but I'm sure if you focused on some of
the non-athlete students the way they do on the athletes, you'll find a lot
of non athletes in just as much or more difficulty as the Athletes.

Sorry I have no connection to Maine or Michigan, but these comments are way outa
 line.

Replies off line please I don't want to start a flame war here, but attacking
these athletes like this is uncalled for.

Bob Gilreath
MTU Blue line Club (hockey booster)
MTU Huskie Club (athletic Booster)

These opinions are my own... and darn good ones at that.  ;-)