Sender:
From:
Susan Siegal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 1994 14:23:45 -0600
On Sun, 20 Feb 1994, Walter Olson wrote:

> Ouch! University of North Dakota treated us to yet another loss.

Yay!  UND gets it first home sweep of the year! (our only other sweep was
away, also against MTU... Why can't weplay these guys all the time?

[Various boxscores deleted]
> 3rd Period:
>
> UND Hochstein 8 (unassisted) 2:47
      ^^^^^^^^^
      (Hoogsteen) Just so ya know...

>Stars:
> 3rd Star: Ram (I think, the announcers would have given this
>               to Kvalevog but could find another way to give
>               a star to an MTU player>)
The home (here at UND) announcers did give that 3rd star to Kvalevog, and
he well deserved it.  Just interesting to not that these are all freshman
players, in perhaps the best freshman class ever...)
> 2nd Star: Litke
> 1st Star: Langdon Wilson >
> Commentary:
>
> I did not report penalties above as the radio announcers
> could not keep track of them. My guess is that ther were
> approximately 34 penalties with a couple of 4 minute minors
> a five minute major and two 10 minute misconducts. At the
> end of both the 1st and 2nd periods, there were major
> brouhaha's. At this point I am unable to say why they
> occurred other than loss of control by the referees (Ames
> and Goddard).
Amazing that you could figure all that out from a radio broadcast... You
are correct though.  Most of the pushing and shoving started during the
second period and the refs seemed determined to not get involved at all
costs.  During the big melee that involved the 10 minute misconducts, the
ref just pulled out his little notepad and started taking down numbers,
much to the delight of us screaming fans!

>The one at the end of the second period
> caused Mancini to go ballistic which resulted in a bench
 > minor, putting MTU down 2 men and allowed Wilson to score.>
>Again, Dave Fisher's "oohs and aahs, crying and singing,"
> made the game almost unbearable to listen to. From the
> telecast, North Dakota took the game to  us although MTU
> appeared to stay within reach. MTU looked better during the
> second halves of the periods than during the beginning
> of the periods.

Actually, for the first time in a long time, I was never sitting in
Englestad Arena thinking "we're gonna blow it"  The power play was
working well for the Sioux and Landon Wilson stepped up and intimidated
the heck out of MTU, both physically and by putting the puck in the net.
Seems like this follows the trend for UND though... All year we've been
waiting until the third period to come on strong, why not wait until the
last 6 games of the season to kick it into gear?

> North Dakota has a superb player in Langdon Wilson. We are
                                      ^^^^^^^
                                     (Landon... just so you know when you
see him get rich and famous as the Leafs #1 draft pick.   Why'd a first
rounder choose UND, an admittedly slacking program?   His father Rick
went here in the late 60's...)

> At 5:05 in the second period, Brent Peterson intercepted
> an errant UND pass and slapped a shot home on a 5 minute
> major assigned to Johnson for elbowing MTU's goalie, Ram.
> Ram was on the ice for a few minutes but recovered and
> played the remainder of the game. While Peterson was able
> to score on this opportunity, extermely few shots were
> taken on the UND net. MTU's weakplay was in force during
> during this 5 minute major.

Unfortunately, that 5 minute major was totally uncalled for.  It was
apparent on the late local news slo-mo replay that Ram was barely touched
by Johnson...  It was a scary moment for those of us there in person
though.  ram went down, hit his head on the right pipe and lay there,
completely motionless for about half a minute while the trainer made his
way from the bench.  Too bad that what the pipe caused, Johnson got
penalized for...

Here's hoping the Fighting Sioux can take some of this momentum into
Colorado Springs and Colorado College (*suppressed laugh*)

Susan

Go Sioux!
Sioux Women's Basketball, #1 in the nation, 4th week in a row!