From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 1994 12:29:24 -0600
Brian Morris writes:
>From this morning's Newsday, Peter and Chris Ferraro have both registered for
>classes this spring at Maine, following their campaign with the Olympic team.

Can anyone explain, why does simply registering for classes allow the
Olympians to return and play that semester?  I've been wondering about
the logistics of this for a while.  It's not quite the same situation
as with Dunham - he left Maine at the end of Jan 92, so he'd already
been in school a couple weeks, and he took his coursework with him to
Albertville.  The only way I could see this working for players like
Kariya, the Ferraros, Imes, etc. (who will likely not set foot in the
state of Maine again until March), would be if all of their coursework
for the next two months (4-5 classes) were sent to them and they had
to keep up.  That is a lot to expect.

I think a lot of people are under the impression that these players
are going to just show up in the middle of the semester after the
Olympics are over and be allowed to play and attend classes without
putting in the weeks of work prior that their fellow students have.
Or, that they are going to receive some special treatment that normal
students wouldn't get.  Now, when athletes miss a day here or there
for road trips, professors will tend to give them a break as with any
other student who might be gone on a school-sponsored activity.  But
the Olympics aren't school-sponsored.  Plus, I think that if I had
suggested to Merrimack that I wanted to take two months off to drive
cross country (for example) and suddenly return in the middle of the
semester as if I had never left, they would have had themselves a good
laugh.

No need to flame me because I'm not criticizing the action of allowing
Olympians to return after the Games; I would even tend to say I
support it.  What I'm actually looking for, is if someone in the
know (at Maine or elsewhere) can explain how this is dealt with.

Me, I am happy that the weekend that Merrimack makes its return trip
to Maine, Feb 26-27, is also the last weekend of the Olympics. :-)

BTW, Sat's UNH-Merr game will be a radio game, but not Friday's.
Unfortunately, we are probably not as interesting as the Harvard guys.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<<< Color Voice of the (8-8-1) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>>