From:
Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1993 08:20:25 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
>Kenny Zalewski writes:
>>all opinionated things.  We often see icing or offside errors, especially
>>with the new 2-1 system.  These mistakes are not as "crucial" as a
>>bad goal call.  Unfortunately, mistakes are made, and the players,
>
>        In short, Yes missing a goal is CRUCIAL, but thinking that line calls
>are not as crucial is very near-sighted.

Ah, I knew I was using the wrong word when I chose 'crucial', which is
why I quoted it.  Obviously, every call and no-call in hockey is
important, since a play which is stopped for offsides wrongly may have
resulted in a goal, and an offsides which is missed may end up giving
the attackers a goal which they shouldn't have gotten.  This is similar
to situations where the official does not see an obvious infraction,
since the non-offending team would have a better chance at scoring had
the infraction been called.

My only point is that missed offsides are not "crucial", because, like
missed infractions, we can only _speculate_ whether there might have
been a goal or not.  However, in the case of a missed goal, it becomes
obvious that the team deserved the point, but didn't get it.  Maybe
I should use another term besides 'crucial', as I understand your
point.  Then again, we can all think of what situation causes a coach
to react more: a blown offsides call, or an obvious missed goal call.
In that sense, a missed goal is more crucial for the official in terms
of the amount of abuse he will have to take from the coach because of
his mistake.   :-)                     -- kennyz

--
Kenny Zalewski -- Computer Science Department; Intramural Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180