Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 91 13:53:51 EST
 Sophomore Goalie Tom Newman who was inadvertently knocked unconscious by
 teamate Joe Dziedzic in Saturday night's game against Denver appears to be OK.
 He was rushed to the hospital at the end of the first period (with 0:57
 seconds remaining) on a stretcher. I think the entire arena held their breath
 for a few minutes there. It looked grim, but the doctors believe it is "just"
 a mild concussion. There is some hope that he will be ready to play this
 weekend against St. Cloud State. Jeff Stolp came in to finish the game and is
 really so much better than last year, it's hard to believe that it's the same
 guy!!!

 Gophers remain ranked at #3. Minnesota is still the highest ranked WCHA team,
 but the rankings have little impact on them at this time. Senior Jason Miller
 said: "We're not thinking about rankings at all, we're just worried about
 winning the WCHA and then we will go on from there." The top 15, as of Monday
 were: Lake Superior State, Boston College, Minnesota, Northern Michigan,
 Michigan, Boston University, Maine, Wisconsin, Cornell, St Lawrence, Ferris
 State, New Hampshire, Clarkson, Providence, and North Dakota. (I don't know
 which "poll" this is from, it was just listed in the MN Daily like this.)

 The Gophers are gearing up for their weekend series at St Cloud State this
 Friday (at Mariucci) and Saturday (in St Cloud).

 According to assistant coach Jack Blatherwick:
     "The ONLY time you want to be ranked number ONE in the country, is at the
 end of the season, AFTER the championship game!"
 Carol White
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!