From:
Dean Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1992 17:16:50 CDT
Carol writes:

>  Glad to see that coach Craig Dahl picked up more Minnesota lads than
 Canadians.
>   He has been criticized in the past for not giving more of his scholarships
>  the Minnesota recruits.

I've heard Mike Sertich at UMD getting criticized for recruiting Canadian's
too and it kind of confuses me. What the Gophers are doing (recruiting all
Minnesotans) is great, but why do people expect SCSU and UMD to do the same?
Sertich recruits a lot of players from Western Ontario, parts of Western
Ontario are closer to Duluth (like Thunder Bay) than the Twin Cities are.
Thunder Bay even receives Duluth television, Duluth considers Thunder Bay
and the rest of Western Ontario to be part of the "Twin Ports Vicinity".

Sertich has said many times that he would love to have some boys from
northern Wisconsin on his team, and I believe him. Some have tried out, but
none have made the cut.

On the same note, what if there was a great high school hockey player out of
Hudson, Wisconsin? Would the University of Minnesota ignore him? Hudson is
practically a suburb of the Twin Cities (don't tell anybody from Hudson I
said that!), but yet the U of M would lose that player to another school.

Having an all Minnesota team is great for the U of M if that's how they want
it, but I don't think it should be expected out of SCSU and UMD.

-Dean