From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1992 13:15:32 EDT
Scott writes:
>I can't really speak for any BIG stars who signed with their NHL franchise,
>but I was able to speak with former Michigan State forward Jim Cummins on
>the subject.  Jim signed with the Detroit Red Wings after his third year
>in college.  He said that he was planning to return to school during the
>summer months and finish up his degree.  The Detroit Red Wings were picking
>up the tuition/fees/room and board.

For undergrads who leave, this seems to be standard practice as long as the
player asks for it.  After all, the player is giving up a scholarship to
turn pro; if he should get injured or something, he wants a way to cover
himself, so he wants the rest of his schooling paid for one way or the other.
Whether or not the player takes advantage of this, is up to him.  So I don't
think a blanket answer can be given to Brian's question; it is really
dependent on the player and his desire for a degree.  Just like all of us,
some players place a higher value on finishing their degrees than others.

This happens in other sports, too. (time for a plug)  My best friend of 20
years, Dean Borrelli, is starting catcher for the Huntsville (Alabama) Stars,
Oakland A's AA team.  He was drafted by Oakland out of UMass as a junior and
as a condition of his contract, he asked for and received a clause whereby
Oakland picked up the cost of the completion of his bachelor's degree. Turning
pro meant, of course, he lost his scholarship to UMass.  The decision to go
was not an easy one; we spent many hours back in 1988 hashing out all the
different possibilities and outcomes.  However, this clause made it easier.
And, this past fall, he spent the entire semester at UMass and received his
bachelor's in marketing just prior to leaving for spring training.  (Keep your
eyes open for him if you follow the minors, especially Southern League.  I
plan to make another trip down there this summer to the "Hockey Capital of the
South" unless he's called up to AAA in Tacoma.)

- mike