From:
Mike Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:18:42 -0500
Just to illustrate how sensitive this outcome is, and at the risk of
offending either ECAC or WCHA folk or both, I checked Bill's "math" but
misread it.  I had UMD beating Wisconsin and Denver beating North Dakota -
the higher PWR teams, but lower seeds.  With changing just those TWO games
from one reasonable outcome to another (higher seed to "better" team per
PWR), Cornell falls from 14 to 17 and misses the tourney, while UMD rises
from 16 to 13 and makes the dance.

It gets better.  If UMD and Wisconsin were to TIE the WCHA consolation,
and DU beat NoDak, then UMD and Cornell would BOTH make it and the Gophers
would be out.  So the conspiracy theorists among us would suggest that
somehow UMD should blow a late one-goal lead in the consolation game, JUST
TO SCREW THE GOPHERS.

Obviously this is only one slice of a gillion different scenarios.  But
it's fun to ponder.

Mike