From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:28:26 -0400
With the CHA finishing its tournament last weekend, we have our first winner in the Pick the Post-season Tournaments Contest #1.

Before I reveal the winner, I need to mention an on-the-fly scoring change.  Since it had never happened in the 11 years I've been running this contest, I completely forgot that it was possible for a consolation game to end in a tie.  Niagara and Alabama-Huntsville reminded me of this possibility in the CHA consolation, and with 4 points available, I've decided to split the difference and award 2 points to anyone who picked Niagara or Alabama-Huntsville to win the CHA consolation.  I'll do something similar if future consolations end in a tie, and if any league decides to hold a shoot-out to break a consy tie, I'll ignore the result of that and still treat the game as a tie -- first, because that's what the NCAA does, and second, and more importantly, because I absolutely loathe shoot-outs.

Now then... the CHA ended with a five-way tie for the top spot among Troy D. Mills, Mark Lewin, Tony Buffa, Craig Knowles, and myself, each with 34 points.  Troy locked up the win with the first tiebreaker, as his predicted championship game score was dead-on.

The overall contest lead is currently held by -- and I checked my spreadsheet twice -- me, with a score of 118 points.

Scoring reminder:  Three points were awarded for each correctly predicted winner in a conference's first round/quarterfinal.  An additional bonus point was given for correctly forecasting the number of games (2 or 3) a series would go.  The bonus point did not apply to the CHA, which had no quarterfinal round.

Scoring for the rest of the contest is as follows:  4 points for correctly picking the winner of each play-in/finals qualifier game (WCHA only), 8 points for correctly picking semifinal winners, 4 points for picking the consolation winner (ECAC, CCHA, and WCHA only), and 16 points for picking the championship game winner.

Here is the scoring so far, overall and for each conference.  Also included are the scores for the predictions by the USCHO staff (who, it should be pointed out, didn't have to pick all the games at once) and a "Higher Seed" entry, showing what would have happened if the higher seed for each game had been picked to win.  Thus, in the "Higher Seed" entry, all first-round/quarterfinal series get picked as sweeps.

Overall
NAME                    TOTAL
Bill Fenwick             118
Nick Markham             114
Tony Buffa               114
Robin Lock               112
CHODR                    111
Troy D. Mills            111
Mark Lewin               105
Craig Knowles            103
Nathan Hampton           102
Charlie Shub              99
Mike Larson               98
Craig Roberts             98
Jim Dixon                 97
William Groskreutz        94
William Sangrey           87
Scott Kaplan              82
* Andy Weise              55
* Bob Fitta               54
* John Edwards            45

USCHO                    106
Higher Seed              112

* Did not submit picks for all conferences

CHA                          Tiebreaker 1
NAME                   TOTAL  Score Pts
Troy D. Mills           34     3-2   0
Mark Lewin              34     3-1   1
Tony Buffa              34     4-1   2
Bill Fenwick            34     5-2   2
Craig Knowles           34     5-1   3
Charlie Shub            26
Mike Larson             26
Robin Lock              26
William Groskreutz      26
Nick Markham            24
CHODR                   24
William Sangrey         24
Nathan Hampton          24
John Edwards            24
Jim Dixon               24
Craig Roberts           24
Scott Kaplan            10

USCHO                   26
Higher Seed             24

ECACH                           Hockey East
NAME                   TOTAL    NAME                   TOTAL
Nick Markham            23      Tony Buffa              12
Mike Larson             21      Craig Roberts           10
Tony Buffa              20      Bill Fenwick            10
CHODR                   20      Robin Lock               9
Andy Weise              19      Nathan Hampton           9
William Sangrey         19      Scott Kaplan             9
Mark Lewin              18      William Groskreutz       9
Troy D. Mills           18      Craig Knowles            9
Robin Lock              17      John Edwards             9
Nathan Hampton          17      Jim Dixon                7
Bob Fitta               16      Nick Markham             6
Scott Kaplan            15      Mike Larson              6
Craig Roberts           14      CHODR                    6
William Groskreutz      14      William Sangrey          6
Jim Dixon               14      Mark Lewin               6
Craig Knowles           13      Troy D. Mills            6
Bill Fenwick            11      Charlie Shub             6
Charlie Shub            10
                                USCHO                    9
USCHO                   17      Higher Seed              6
Higher Seed             21

CCHA                            WCHA
NAME                   TOTAL    NAME                   TOTAL
Bill Fenwick            27      Nick Markham            18
Robin Lock              25      CHODR                   18
Charlie Shub            25      Bill Fenwick            17
Nick Markham            23      Scott Kaplan            17
CHODR                   23      Craig Knowles           16
Andy Weise              23      Robin Lock              15
Mark Lewin              23      Charlie Shub            15
Troy D. Mills           23      Nathan Hampton          15
Craig Roberts           23      William Groskreutz      15
Tony Buffa              21      Jim Dixon               14
Nathan Hampton          21      Mark Lewin              12
Bob Fitta               21      John Edwards            12
Craig Knowles           21      Craig Roberts           11
Mike Larson             19      Tony Buffa              11
William Sangrey         18      Mike Larson             11
Jim Dixon               18      Troy D. Mills           10
Scott Kaplan            16      William Sangrey          8
William Groskreutz      16
                                USCHO                   15
USCHO                   23      Higher Seed             16
Higher Seed             26

Atlantic Hockey
NAME                   TOTAL
Nick Markham            20