Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:02:31 -0700
Jim Love used to post this every valentines day.
it seems like we ought to continue that tradition
posted more or less intact. How many of you can name jim's friend in
boston?

cdash
  Back by popular demand, it's The HOCKEY-L "Ode to Joy" !!  It's become
somewhat of an annual tradition here on HOCKEY-L ever since I first posted
it back in 1991, so here it is again in the same light-hearted spirit I'd
intended from the start.  For all you HOCKEY-L veterans: Try it Again, For
        the First Time :-)  For all the newcomers .... Enjoy !!

    For many years the Boston "Phoenix" would publish a special section on/
around St. Valentine's Day that chronicled reader testimonials of Cupid's
hits and misses.  The following excerpt appeared in the late 1980s, and was
sent to me by a friend in Boston whose first date with his future bride in-
cluded a UNH hockey game (an 11-5 Wildcat thrashing of Army; the perfect way
to get a hockey-centered relationship off on the right skate :-) and who to-
gether still plan their winter social calendar around the Wildcat icers.  I
think we ALL know people (of both sexes) who could have written the following:

    "I blame it all on a goddamn college hockey game.  Oh, sure, you're
thinking, maybe I should blame myself.  Well, the hell with all of you.

     The light of my life, she was - or so I'd convinced myself over the
space of the three weeks we'd been taking the same political history course.
Our eyes met during a lecture on Grover Cleveland, and I was hooked.  I
asked her out for a beer after class; she mentioned that she had an extra
ticket to that night's game against St. Lawrence.  At the time, I understood
less about hockey than I did about Grover Cleveland, but so what ??  I would
be with HER.

     That night, I learned that the St. Lawrence icemen are known to one
and all as the 'Larries'; for all I knew, there could have been a bunch of
Moes and Curleys down there too.  The problem was .... *she* knew.  Worse
yet, she CARED.  And she was appalled that I didn't.  Which is why she then
launched into a lengthy and aggressively condescending discourse on the
subtle differences between cross-checking, spearing, and aggravated assault,
intermittently punctuated by her emphatic observation that the referee was,
as she put it, a 'blind motherf**ker.'  All hope vanished at the moment she
realized that I didn't count Snooks Kelley as one of the five greatest in-
spirations of my life; her lips were silent, but her eyes said 'wimp city.'

     Dreams die hard - but none so hard as those shattered by a bunch of
hyperthyroidal Canadians with knives on their feet and sticks in their hands.
Goddamn college hockey game.  Maybe I'll become a priest ...."

    Well, *I'd* sure like to meet her .... !!   Cheers, Jim

Jim Love (*grin*)
Go 'Cats Go !!!

NOTE:  ALL UCCS TELEPHONE PREFIXES HAVE CHANGED FROM 262 TO 255

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon   | charlie shub                (719) 255-3492
 \ /  Campaign Against | [log in to unmask]        (mobile) 761-8778
  X    HTML in e-mail  | http://cs.uccs.edu/~cdash   (fax) 255-3369
 / \      and news     | University of Colorado at Colorado Springs