From:
Mike Welvaert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Welvaert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 22:35:09 -0500
     Actually surprised some of the usual SIOUX faithful haven't chimed in
     with more details yet....

     Happened to be up in ND last weekend on other business, and got to
     watch Saturday's slugfest on the tube courtesy of WDAZ, Grand Forks.

     That was one of the better games I have watched in recent years...the
     1997 NCAA final vs. Boston notwithstanding.

     The first period brawl was, as posted previously, a result of hitting
     Duluth goalie Brant Nicklin.  The SIOUX dumped the puck into the zone,
     and Nicklin went behind the net to stop it.  He did, and then turned
     to go back around to the front of the net.  As he did this, SIOUX forward
     Brad DeFauw was charging behind the net to get there.  He and Brant had a
     head on collision.  It appeared to me DeFauw didn't really try too hard to
     avoid Nicklin, so the major was probably deserved, IMHO.  Almost
     immediately, 3 Bulldogs jumped on him and, expectedly, began pummeling him.
     Eventually, everyone on the ice, except SIOUX goalie Karl Goehring, were in
     on the melee.  Nicklin lost all of his upper body protection in the scrum,
     and it took several minutes for him to get dressed again.

     That event really set the tone for the remainder of the game, as it was a
     real rough game from there.  The officials tried diligently to get the game
     back under control, by handing out penalty after penalty, but it didn't
     seem to work (obviously).  Both coaches had pretty grim looks on their
     faces, to say the least.  Both teams must have gotten a good talkin' to
     before the 2nd stanza, as it was a bit more controlled.

     But the SIOUX continued to really dominate the game, and it began to wear
     on the Dogs.  They took a couple of dumb penalties, and then ended up with
     2 guys in the box after a scuffle with several SIOUX players.  The ensuing
     5 on 3 ended up netting 2 quick SIOUX goals.  That was a real back-breaker.

     The 3rd period fight was a real NHL-style doozie!  At least 4 players
     dropped the gloves and got in the 'ol headlock.  Jerseys were pulled over
     the head, the whole 9-yards.  After it was over, one SIOUX player (I forget
     who at the moment) left the ice with only a very tattered and ripped
     T-shirt still on his back!

     The sad part of all this....I could have made the extra time to get to
     Grand Forks for the game, but I was told it was sold out.   Attendance
     ended up being several hundred short of a sellout.  :-(

     For a more professional write-up, visit the Grand Forks Herald on-line at:
     www.gfherald.com/sports/local/1101hockey.htm

     Both teams will be without 5 players for Friday's games...UND has a
     non-conference match with Clarkson, while Duluth has to tangle with Bucky.
     I guess I'd rather have players miss NC games rather than conf games...

     Mike Welvaert, UND '90
     GO SIOUX!!  ONE MORE TIME IN 99!!