From:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:03:38 -0500
I have to make some comments on this whole debate over the future that
small schools have in D-I Hockey.  I have been raising these concerns for
the past couple of years, but I keep being told that I am overreacting or
I'm "just paranoid".  Well, as a fan of a small school program (North
Dakota), I believe that we small school fans have every right to fear such
proposals as a Big Ten Hockey Conference, future involvement in the game
by E$PN, and the elitist attitudes of some (and I emphasize SOME) big
school fans towards our programs.  I have said many times that the
proponents of a Big Ten Hockey Conference are NOT after an Ivy League type
conference like they claim, but rather a full-fledged big media, big
$$$$$ conference in the model of the Basketball/Football conferences.  If
this happens, the Big Ten would become the "big time" and the small school
programs will become the "small time", and will get garbage-type treatment
by the media and the big schools.  I know I will get e-mails now denying
that this will take place or that I'm being irrational (I have before when
discussing this topic).  But if you look back at the history of D-I
Basketball, you will see why us small school fans are so concerned.
Today, D-I Basketball has over 300 teams but only about 100 or so are
truly D-I calibre.  So in effect, over 2/3 of the teams in D-I Basketball
are playing for pride every single season.  Not a pretty picture if you
ask me.

Do I think this will happen in Hockey?  Not in our lifetimes, I don't
think.  If D-I Hockey gets to 100 teams, I'll consider that a miracle.
But even 100 teams could cause problems for schools like North Dakota,
Colorado College, LSSU, ect.  And there would be more than just a little
opposition from Fighting Sioux fans, I can assure you.

Soon, I will write an editorial on my web site discussing the potential
growing pains that College Hockey faces, and how to minimize the impact on
the aspects of the game that we love.  I will inform Hockey-Lers when it
is up.  Take care everyone!!!

Fighting Sioux Hockey
Div. I National Champions:
1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997.